Sunday, March 18, 2012

New Bedford Half - D's Recap

D - 13.1 in 1:52:18
C - 13.1 in  1:56:06

New Bedford Half: D's Recap

I just dropped C off at the airport for her weekend of Job interviewing (Good Luck C!) and filed my taxes. Apparently, to get motivated, I just have to plan a hectic weekend and race 13 miles. I truly recommend that for anyone who needs to focus and get work done.

A little Green for St. Patrick's Day
As for the race itself, I'm proud of my showing, even if it's not a PR. First off, I shot out of the gate way too fast (... I guess my 2 years of making of C for that has come to an end). In my defense, my hip has been bothering me, and I didn't think I could run a sub 8 mile (let alone 2) - so I was focusing on not running too slow. Oops.

The, I stopped to use a restroom mid-race for the first time ever(only added 27 seconds, sorry if that's too much info). I felt dehydrated going into the race, and drank what I thought was just enough water.

Lastly, there was the course. It's not the toughest (Old Sandwich Road Race's final hill was probably worse), but the hills in this one make up for not being steep by being long and oddly placed. Hill one was only a mile or so in, hill two was from miles 11 passed mile 12. I happened to miss seeing mile markers 11 and 12, which accounts for holding back a bit on the top of the final hill thinking I still had over a mile to go - I was really beat at that point, but was refusing to walk.

When I told C about the saving energy in what turned out to be the last mile, she said "you should never coast in a race". I'll have to remember that after mile 11 when Boston's Run to Remember comes around - I will break 1:50 this year.

And, in addition to medals: New Bedford's post race snack was fried fish sandwiches (amazing) and clam chowder. They probably should get bagels for the non-fish eaters and lactose-intolerant, but for those that aren't, it was a great way to end the race.

Now for D's mile breakdown (feel free to skip if you're not interested)

Race Pace: 8:34 on average... but seldom actually run at that pace

Mile 1: 7:55
Mile 2: 7:39
Mile 3: 8:43
Mile 4: 8:54
Mile 5: 8:24
Mile 6: 8:11
Mile 7: 8:02
Mile 8: 8:36
Mile 9: 9:06 (bathroom break)
Mile 10: 9:10
Mile 11:
Mile 12:
Mile 13.1: 1:52:18

So, as you can see, a bit of a pacing nightmare on paper. In actuality, I was adjusting for hills, dehydration, going out too fast and ... well loosing focus the last few miles. It was still a good race, and I'm now chomping at the bit to get to Boston R2R and finally break 1:50

No comments:

Post a Comment