Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Questions for D

C: Ok D, your turn to share your running life. What inspired you to start this blog?

D: We're constantly emailing each other news stories, training tips, upcoming races, blogs, gadgets - This seemed like a great way to keep all of this together. I also hope it will serve to keep us motivated, lay out our goals, and be a fun way to look back at how far our training has come as we (hopefully) achieve those goals.

C:  Do you enjoy running more now that you're not competing in cross country?  What is different?  Is training easier or harder now that you're older?  Are your motivations different?  Why resume running now?

D: I don't think I will ever relive the 'run till you puke' mentality of cross country racing in high school, but having a team and knowing your competition was fun. The downside is you fall apart a lot faster, and its easier to loose motivation. There is something Zen about getting out on the road by your self for no one but yourself. Going long slow distances has gotten easier with age, and now that we're creating our own workout schedule, I think I'm training smarter not harder. I started running again while talking to C, and once I started I remembered everything I used to love about running: The simplicity, the sweat and the sweet feeling after a good run. I'm finally running simply because I enjoy it.

C:  What are your favorite running gadgets? Your running essentials?

D: MyFuel Belt (Helium 2) is my favorite item I own. I honestly have no idea how we trained for our first half marathon without water belts. I particularly love the pouch so I can throw in a credit card and some Gel to fuel the longer runs.
Aside from good shoes (I have 4 active pairs right now), dry wicking shirts and 50 lap watch there is also safety gear. A reflective vest (with chest pocket) is must have for morning runs in the winter. C just got me a key pouch with engraved ID from road id that I'm excited to try out soon.
C:  What's your favorite run?  What race would you most like to run?

D: My favorite race will always be the Hartford half marathon of 2011 (my second). I came in so far under my goal pace, my family hadn't even started looking for me yet. Realizing I was on pace to break two hours with 6.1 miles to go, I had a big grin on my face... then when I looked a second time and realized I had 5.1 miles to go and on top of it was feeling strong I had goosebumps over my entire body. Until I (If I) qualify for the Boston Marathon, I don't think any single moment in running will match that.
I'm really excited to have the Boston Run to Remember on my list for 2012. I ran the five miler while C ran the half, so I feel like I need to experience the whole thing for myself.

C: Do you run with or without headphones?  Why?

D: Without for two reasons: Safety - I run in an area not known for cautious drivers or polite pedestrians, its good to have all my senses about me. The other reason is that I value the time while running to either let my mind wander or to focus on something really simple (splits, times, strategy.) Headphones get in the way of both. Treadmills are another story.

C:  What is the most difficult part about running for you?  Have you had setbacks in your running?

D: We all have our challenges to keep up with a race pace or just getting out the door to train. Right now its waking up while its still dark to get out the door for a run, or giving up my evenings to run after work. When I'm racing, I have a very weak mental game that lets the smallest things throw me off. To get over these, I just have to keep in mind "one foot in front of the other, check your form, be happy you can even run."
About a year and a half ago I shattered my big toe (crush injury was the technical term) so that kept me from being able to even walk. After a few weeks of pretty major depression, then a month of lots of take out and TV, I started hitting the gym most days, but it wasn't the same.  It was over six months before I could hit the pavement. I just have to remember that feeling, and I usually can get myself motivated pretty quickly.

C:  How will you feel when your girlfriend chicks you in our next half marathon?  (kidding!) What are your future running goals?

D: Short term - for our next half marathon I want to run as well as my last, since I know its a slightly tougher course and running through the winter is a pain. In 2012, I want to drop my 5k times into 21minute range... maybe even faster? And pull a 1:45 at the Boston Run to Remember.
Realistic long term goal - I want pull C to qualify for the Boston Marathon. While we're at it, I'd love to qualify myself (I'm already designing the tattoo if I do), but I haven't even tried the distance, so I will keep that goal to myself.


C:  Where do you look for information about running?  How do you decide whose advice to take?

D: I'm geeking out lately with a handful of running books (more on that later). RunnersWorld always provides some great inspirational stories mixed with useful tips. Blogs, athlinks, coolrunnings and talking to other runners also provide some great real world info as well. I have to give a lot of credit to Green Mountain Running Camp


C:  If you could train with one professional runner, who would it be and why?

D: I really can't just choose one. Of all the runners, I think Scott Jurek  and Kara Goucher would have the most to offer someone starting out running. They keep things down to earth in all the interviews I've heard. I might even be able to keep up with Scott... for a mile if he was doing 50. Lastly, Jenn Shelton's clean enjoyment of running just to run in every photo, interview and article make her deserving of a mention.  

No comments:

Post a Comment